Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Getting ready For winter

Damon and I went to Cedar City on Saturday and loaded 3 ton of pellets on a trailer so that we will be ready for winter. We also got them for dad as well so that he won't have to make special trips to Cedar City in the winter to only fill up his trunk with 5 bags at a time to get through just 1 week of warmth. His basement is full of pellets to the ceiling, but it sure smells nice from the wood. The picture does not do justice of how many pellet bags we have they go beyond the door into the next room, take a right into stevens entrance of his room and oh yes behind the picture to the right at the base of the stairs leaving a walk space through it all. You have got to love winter, but at least we will all be warm and don't have to travel in the snow to go get some pellets.
All the canning that happened because of our backyard. I am so thankful for all of this as we prepare for the winter. I still have to do pears, their not ready yet but soon! These shelves contain, salsa, tomato juice, peaches, cherries, and dear meet. I feel like I am doing okay with my skills of learning how to can food. It is just so easy to have on hand, and it also tastes better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan you're so brave. I wanted to can this year, and I did, but I had to go have my mom help! Your pantry is beautiful, grandma and your mom would be so proud. I know what you mean by the smell of pellets, Jake and I went and got a load of firewood this weekend. I love the smell of the wood, it's so fresh!

Becca said...

Those are a lot of pellets. I'm sure they will be gone by end of winter though. Way to be prepared. I just started canning this year. It is actually kind of fun. It feels good to look at those beautiful jars and know you made them. (I agree, they are much better than store bought)